Providence Rock N Roll Half Marathon Weekend Recap

9 Aug

This weekend was awesome! I have been super excited to run the Inaugural Rock N Roll Half Marathon in Providence since the first time I heard it was coming to town. I registered on May 13 for the August 7 race. That is how excited I was.

Here’s how it all went down:


As you probably know well by know, I am a big BIG fan of Friday, which I have re-named, Carb Friday. I haven’t been celebrating Carb Friday since Marathon Sunday because I haven’t been running that much (unfortunately). So, knowing I had a big race to run on Sunday, I welcomed Carb Friday back with enthusiastic hunger.

I started the day with a new love of mine:

Dunkin’ Donuts Multigrain Bagel with Veggie Cream Cheese
Look at all of those delicious grains!

About mid-way through the morning I indulged in a one of these little beauties:

Edible Arrangements Chocolate and Almond Covered Strawberry

Which obviously wasn’t going to last me until lunch so I also had some of these:

Strawberries drizzled with honey – haven’t tried? Do it, you won’t be disappointed.

There’s about 11 grams of carbohydrates in a cup of strawberries! I did not know that – they make an excellent snack on Carb Friday, combined with about a teaspoon of honey for a grand total of a 17g carb snack (plus whatever was in the Edible Arrangement strawberry).

Lunch was leftover Eggplant Pasta from Thursday night – that stuff was really good!

Only this time I had it with rye garlic toast instead of a sandwich roll, because that’s what I happened to have in the house.

I ate that pretty late in the afternoon, and I knew I’d be going out for a big dinner with my parents, so I skipped my afternoon snack to make sure I was hungry for dinner.

Dinner was at Angelo’s – a fantastic Italian restaurant on Federal Hill in Providence.

We dominated started with antipasto and bread:

What is there not to like about a plate full of fresh meats, cheese, veggies, and bread?

 I had the “Cindy’s Special” which consisted of chicken parm style chicken topped with capicola, marinara sauce, and melted mozzarella cheese, on top of penne.

HUGE portion. 
Sooooo good, I bet my brother’s happy I left the leftovers for him.

It was amazing.  I couldn’t eat it all, but I tried! A couple of glasses of Merlot were consumed with this meal, as well as some good conversation and laughs.  Dinner with my family is always sure to end up in some sort of hysterically funny conversation.


I was up bright and (mostly) early so I could get to the expo early. I didn’t want to miss out on freebies! As I walked through the city I saw these signs:

The Biltmore (even tho you can only see part of it) is used by so many out of towners as the Providence landmark for getting around, amusing to me. I heard “You see the Biltmore” so many times on Sunday!

Out of all the races I have ever run, this was the most organized expo.

Oh look, a red carpet – JUST FOR ME!

I didn’t take a ton of pictures, because who really wants to see a bunch of pictures of signs and tents and random people giving stuff away? I did snap a few of things that piqued my interest.

Such as the fitting rooms:

A funny sticker that reminds me of all of my running friends (and myself):

This shirt made me LOL:

But, it wasn’t amusing enough for me to buy.  This headband, however, was in my hand the second I saw it:

I’m still nursing three wounded toenails from Marathon Sunday.

I also bought myself a running belt, similar to a spi-belt, but not the name brand so cheaper (which is ALWAYS good).  One of the pockets expands to the size of a 12 oz can! I’ve been looking for a while for something to wear on a run that’s more compact than my Fuel Belt, and I finally found my solution!

I also bought a running skirt.  I fell in love with this skirt the minute I saw it, and I fell in love all over again when I tried it on.

It fits perfect.  And the colors (sorry, crappy cell phone pic) match not only my Kinvara’s, but both of my running tanks! I couldn’t resist, and I’m glad I didn’t.

As for freebies, I ended up with so many samples!

  • Mini Larabars – the guy working the booth gave me one of each flavor if I promised to write about them here, so that’s a future post in the works!
  • A Cascadian Farms granola bar (haven’t tried it yet, I’ll keep you posted!)
  • Bear Naked Granola – if you haven’t tried this stuff, DO IT! WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR? It’s 100% all natural, and it’s delicious. I’ve tried a few of the varieties and I have never been disappointed.
  • Biofreeze and Degree samples, a lanyard and one of those funky rubbery bracelet things from Sports Authority, coupons galore…
It was a fantastic expo.  I could’ve done some serious shopping damage in there, but I contained myself (mostly).
I was a little alarmed when I got home and started going through my race pack.  I’d never used one of these before:
Say WHAT? How do I work this thing?
I was paranoid I wasn’t going to do it right, and it’d fall off. Every other race I’ve run has had the B-Tag, or was just a small, gun time race. 
The official race tee:

I love how they implemented the nautical theme right around the rock theme!
The rest of the day was consumed by a family reunion held by my mother, which consisted of lots of unphotographed food, and equally as much beer (which I did manage to get a picture of, before the party started)
The H stands for Heaven.  As in, “Heaven in a cooler.”
Once I got home and hydrated, it was off to bed for a not so early bed time of 11 for a way too early 4:45 wake up call.

My alarm went off at 4:45.  
I hit snooze.
It went off at 4:55.
I hit snooze again.
I did this until 5:15 when I realized I had better get my butt out of bed if I was going to eat and digest in enough time to run! So I dragged my weary bottom out of bed, showered, got dressed, frantically rushed around the house getting everything together because I was too tired to do it the night before. 
It was then I realized, when I tried to put the dog out and she gave me that “Oh, no, I don’t think so.” look that it was pouring rain out.  Oh, lovely. 
Well, I paid a mint for this race, I’m running.  A little rain never killed anyone, right? Plus, Kate (a fellow blogger, check her out here) was meeting me in the Corral.  We met on Twitter, and were in the same corral, so we had to meet up! 
Kate and I met in the Corral as planned, it was pretty easy to spot me, since I had given her a pic of my race outfit the night before, and she definitely spotted me first (I’m bad about that kind of stuff!). We chatted and laughed and kind of danced around in the rain, hoping to stay warm while we were standing still.  The race started about 15 minutes late, much to the chagrin of all of the runners, as if running 13 miles in the rain wasn’t enough. 
As far as the actual race, I don’t have much to talk about. It was wet.  There were lots of puddles. My feet were soaked by about miles 3-4. 
I felt so strong for the first 7 miles.  I was on track for my goal of sub 2:10.  Suddenly I could feel a little pinch in my right foot.  Uh oh, blister prevention must be soaked through. I slowed a tad through Mile 8, but didn’t like that, so I picked it back up for mile 9.  I should have never slowed down. I couldn’t get it back after that. 
I tried and I pushed, but by then my feet were so soaked that the blister was starting to get worse.  And both of my feet started to hurt.  It was really unfortunate because my legs and lungs wanted to go. I just kept on chugging along.  I had pulled ahead of Kate early on (obviously a mistake) because then she caught and passed me, and pulled off a PR! Congrats girl, you totally deserve it! 
I couldn’t allow myself a slow finish, even with blisters.  I managed to run an 8:28 average pace for the last 1/3 of a mile, which brought me in just under 2:15 (2:14:45).  
It’s my second worst half time, but I don’t care.  It was a fun race, a lot of the bands still showed and played, I got to meet a fellow blogger, and I ran 13.1 miles in the pouring rain like a complete lunatic. 
It was all worth it for this baby:
25# Medal. No joke. I weighed it. 
All in all it was a lot of fun, and I’d love to run another Rock N Roll event in the future! 

2 Responses to “Providence Rock N Roll Half Marathon Weekend Recap”

  1. August 9, 2011 at 1:33 am #

    I'm amazed by all of you who ran the Providence RnR in the rain! Great job!!


  1. 2011 Races (Year in Review) « Running and Cupcakes - January 2, 2012

    […] Providence Rock N Roll Half Marathon – August 7: I was intent on PR’ing my half marathon time for this race. Then it rained…and rained…and rained some more. Needless to say it was miserable. I still finished, but ugh, not a fun race.  Finish time: 2:14:45 […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: